January 2021

We got a call to look into remodeling a backyard deck that needs re-purposing and repairs. There are multiple problems that need addressing, mostly caused by water damage and settling. We’ll be strengthening the foundation and the structure itself. Afterwords, we’ll clean and seal the entire deck.

We finished most of the demolition this past Saturday, but I forgot to get a progress photo. I’ll take one tomorrow before we start back and then again throughout the day.

After removing a large portion of the deck and hauling off the debris, we brought in the first load of lumber to get started on the foundation and flooring. We had to make a second run out-of -State for treated 2x6s because of a local shortage. One supplier told us they hadn’t received a load of lumber in a month and a half.

We ran into a clearance sale on these two 16′ extension ladders. They were originally priced at $99.00, but were marked down to $29.70. They’ll come in handy on this job and others.

As it turned out, there was a lumber shortage locally. We had to buy the 2x6s in Alabama and all we could find were 12 footers at the time. It would have been nice to have the 16 footers for the sub-floor, but we adapted at a substantial cost increase. Using the 12 foot boards added more labor and extra galvanized joist hangers. It also doubled the amount of screws needed.

Working around the pool was a bit tedious as well. Once all the flooring is installed up to the angle change, we pop a chalk line across all of them and cut them to length all at once.

Another problem we ran into was the width of the flooring lumber. They differed in sixteenth inch increments from 5-1/2″ to 5-3/4″. We had to separate them into individual stacks and use them carefully to make an entire length run across the deck at each width. We kept the flooring tight at installation; as the pressure treating dries, the boards will shrink and gap themselves properly.

The homeowners wanted recessed steps to avoid running into them in the dark.

The finished ends after popping a chalk line across them and cutting them all at once. You have to pre-cut the first and last boards because the circular saw can’t get to them.

Luckily, by the time we purchased the joists for the roof, we were able to locate 16 footers. Lumber prices locally went up in price an average of $1.03 per board from the time we quoted the job. Needless to say, the job went above the estimate substantially and remains unfinished pending negotiation. The handrails aren’t installed completely, including the 2×6 caps all the way around. The metal roof also needs to be installed.

We have to let the wood dry out and fade a bit before we stain it. That could take 60-90 days. The handrail by the pool is temporary. These photos reflect a work in progress and do not show the completed project.