In the remodeling business, you never know what you’re going to run into. My son and I recently broke away from our jobs with a local electrical contractor, and he started subcontracting restoration and remodeling again. At 60 years of age I decided to join in the fun. We had problems with labor the first go-around, but have learned since then to keep things simple and profitable.
The general contractor we sub from has quite a bit of work; fifty-two projects and counting at the moment. The Senior Project Manager says he hasn’t had a day off since Hurricane Michael. I’m not sure if all the work they have is related to the storm, but as long as we keep our end straight we should have plenty of work.
The job they started us on was a three bedroom, two bath concrete block home in Panama City. Another subcontractor had started the project, and for whatever reason, had left the job unfinished. After they had installed the new drywall in most of the house the electrical inspection failed, so the electricians came in and cut out strips of drywall to replace wiring in the outside walls. Older homes in our area had the old two prong receptacles with no ground, and I’m assuming that was the reason for the failed inspection and probably for the previous subcontractor leaving abruptly.
We’ve patched and finished the drywall, sprayed texture on the walls and ceilings and will start painting this week. We also have the doors and baseboards to install. A flooring company is laying the hardwood floors. I’ll update the progress soon and try to get better pictures.
Update: Looks like we’re doing the floors, and they’re not wood; they’re the snap together panels meant to look like wood flooring. We’ve done them before, so it’s just a another chance to make a few extra dollars.
This is a previous floor we contracted in Alabama. This one had the under-layment used to dampen the sound of your steps. The current job may or may not get the under-layment. I haven’t heard yet.
Update: I have some “after” photos, although the project wasn’t completely finished at the time. We left George, our drywall finisher/trim painter behind to complete the painting, and the rest of the crew moved to another job. The walls were done in Warm Putty, a custom color from Sherwin Williams, but one of the one gallon cans was lighter. Subsequently, we had to have another can or so to cut in around the ceilings and around the trim. The doors and trim were painted in Dover White (semi-gloss), and some are unfinished in the photos.